Friday, October 27, 2006

Well, one more movie I won't be seeing...(then again)

Flags of our Fathers, according to this WSJ Online editorial/review is little more than an anti-war propaganda piece masquerading as a WWII movie.

For 61 years, Americans have believed that the flag-raising on Iwo Jima was our country captured in its finest moment of teamwork, courage, triumph. For the next 61 years, thanks to Clint Eastwood's new film "Flags of Our Fathers," many Americans will think of it as a symbol of crass salesmanship, sleazy opportunism and even racism.

The book on which it's based by James Bradley sounds like a good read though. I'll have to check it out.

Go read the whole article and let me know what you think.

UPDATE- Apparently Michael Medved liked the movie, so I'll do some more digging and see what others are saying as well.

UPDATE II- A new commenter, Reel Fanatic has a review up of the film as well and says it's worth seeing. His review is here- Reel Fanatic
So, I'm rethinking my position on this one.

Tags- ,

2 Comments:

At October 27, 2006 3:38 PM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Having seen Flags of Our Fathers, I'd have to say the WSJ got it more than a bit wrong ... Eastwood's flick does examine the impact of war on the psyche of soldiers, but it it hardly "anti-war propaganda" .. My only real beef with the flick was that he tacked on a very pedantic ending that almost ruined the whole thing

 
At October 27, 2006 4:11 PM, Blogger Kyrie Drake said...

Thanks for the info RF! I will give it more of a look. I must say, I was really disappointed after reading the review, because I had thought this would be a good one.

I just read your review of the film and will link to it as well.

Thanks for stopping by!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home