Monday, September 11, 2006

Col. Ronald F. Golinski (Ret.) Tribute

(also being bumped to the top through 9/11, scroll down for more from today.)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I told Dale of the 2,996 Project that I would be willing to make another tribute if needed, since as he was going through the nearly 3,000 blogs some of the links were broken.

I was given the name of Col. Ronald F. Golinski (RET) of Columbia Maryland. This one seems fitting, seeing as how we are a military family, and at the time of the attacks in 2001, we were living in Maryland.

Col. Golinski was a civilian employee at the Pentagon when it was hit. He’d held many positions during his 36-year Army career, including director of the Enlisted Personnel Management Directorate at the Army Reserve Personnel Command in St. Louis, MO. His awards include the Legion of Merit and the Meritorious Service Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters. After his retirement in 1996, he worked as a civilian in the office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel.

Col. Golinski was survived by his wife of 23 years, Irene, daughters Marcellia, Amanda, and Sara, two step-children; Paula and David, and Three daughters by a previous marriage, Christine, Dawn and Michelle, his mother Marion and two brothers and two sisters.

Reading the various tributes and memorials to this man, it’s easy to see how much he was loved by everyone around him. He was an avid golfer, loved his cats Sylvester and Crackers, and according to his coworkers, he was a hard worker with an unmatched sense of humor. For this tribute, I thought I’d let those who knew Col. Golinski tell you how they felt about him-

“He lived and breathed golf; he just loved it. He played every Saturday and Sunday, and any other time he could, with a whole group of friends at the Fort George G. Meade Golf Course. For his birthdays, we always tried to get him cards related to golf and even golf birthday cakes. It was definitely his passion. That and cats. He loved cats.” ~his wife Irene

“He was my father and I can say that he was the BEST man I ever knew and I will never forget him. He kept us together through the hard time, he was a great mentor for me and I miss him greatly. It seems he was taken to early from my life but I know that he was meant to leave me when he did and it was an honor by far for me to know him as long as I did. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers they are much appreciated and he will never be forgotten in the hearts that knew him...I miss you daddy!!!!” ~his daughter Amanda

“Ron was my step father, and to me, he was my dad. He was the man that provided guidance, comfort, and security. He was a great father, leader, and role model. He did not deserve to be taken the way he was. He had so many goals and dreams yet to satisfy. He was giving and kind. He was funny and serious. Amanda said it best; he was the leader of our family. I have been on my own for many years, but when he died it was though part of my security was gone. I miss him and listening to him and learning something new each time. I miss seeing his approving smile when he thought I was doing O.K. We are thankful for the time we had with him, and realize how much we would have cherished just one more day. Our love and prayers are with you always. We will remember who you were and what you gave to allow us the opportunity of a productive, happy, fulfilled life. Thank you for everything.” ~his daughter Paula

His daughter Sara was the first to post in his legacy.com guest book. It was important to her for people to know her Dad’s full title, especially since, at the time, they hadn’t identified his remains. Unfortunately, Col. Golinski’s remains were among those that were not able to be identified. He has a plaque at Arlington National Cemetery.

His daughter Marcellia wrote this for the guestbook-
A Fathers touch, A Daddy's kiss,
Grieving Daughters, You're greatly missed.

An empty house, An empty chair,
A fathers love, No longer there.

A broken heart, Tear filled eye,
Another soul to fill the sky.

Many memories in my mind,
Some I laugh, Some I cry.

The times we shared, The laughs we had,
Things I miss when I think of you Dad.

Realizing that's all I have to hold on too,
Only memories, Of what once was you.

Missing your laugh, I will never again hear.
That is the reality that fills me with so much fear.

No more smile on your face,
No more warmth of your embrace.

The last hug, The last kiss,
The last "goodbye" leaves me with one last wish...

To have you Dad, here today,
Never to leave your Daughters this way.

A Father's touch, A Daddy's kiss,
Grieving Daughters, YOU'RE GREATLY MISSED! I miss you so much dad, sometimes it's hard to breath. It feels like my heart is being push so tightly together .I love you!!
"Daddy's little Girl" Marcellia Mary Dennis Golinski-Potler

And finally, from his granddaughter Angelica~
Ron was my grandpa. I had no clue until my great grandma Mickey died and we went to her funeral. I met this whole other side of my family. When I started to talk with my great aunt she told me the truth. This whole time I thought he was my distant uncle. I have no memory of ever meeting him. Although from what I hear he is a great guy. Now I wish I did know him. My brothers and I inherited some of his traits though. Dylan Has a great humor, C.J. loves to play golf, I love cats I even have my own, and Quinn is to little to tell. Hope and Love,
Angelica
P.S. I really wish I knew him.

I too, wish I’d had the chance to know him. Golinski family, know that you are in our prayers.

Arlington
Defend America
Guest Book


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Tags-

3 Comments:

At September 13, 2006 2:58 AM, Blogger Rhonda Gales said...

Great tribute. As a fellow 2996 blogger, I am visiting as many tributes as I can. I am honoring Nancy Carole Farley and Jeffrey J. Shaw. Please visit.

 
At September 19, 2006 3:12 AM, Blogger Alicia said...

Wow. It struck me hard, what a wonderful father this man was. Thanks for posting this, both for what you wrote and for finding all the quotes.

 
At September 09, 2009 12:43 PM, Blogger Het said...

Thank you for sharing this tribute to Col. Ronald F. Golinski with us all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home