Sunday, August 13, 2006

The Bread of Life

As most of you know, I'm a convert to Roman Catholicism. Receiving Jesus Christ in the Eucharist really is the high point of my week. Today at Mass, I had a little epiphany.

If you are interested, click the 'read more'. If not, that's ok, we'll be returning to our regularly scheduled rants in just a bit!


So anyway, for the past few months, the wine that St. Michael's uses that becomes the Blood of Christ has been a white wine. I have no problem with that, it's just that the taste was light and a bit sweet. Today, I noticed when the family brought up the gifts, that we were back to a red wine. I was unprepared though, for the sharp, almost bitter taste, and the slight burning sensation as I swallowed. As I got back to my seat, it hit me.

Sometimes, when we receive Jesus, it's a light, sweet and wonderful experience. Other times, by necessity, receiving Jesus is almost medicinal in it's nature.

Isn't that true though in the other ways we meet Jesus. Sometimes it's on those 'mountaintop' experiences, full of joy and light and love. Other times though, Jesus brings us the healing we so very much need. Those times, we may not like it, we may not even want it in our darkness and despair, and it can seem bitter and strong, but at the same time it's warm and calming.

Those thoughts carried me through the rest of Mass, and are making me more mindful of the varied ways God works in my life. Especially those ways that I might not appreciate on the surface.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Tags-


2 Comments:

At August 14, 2006 4:27 PM, Blogger Alicia said...

What a beautiful picture...and what a beautiful revelation. Thank you.

 
At August 23, 2006 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog via the Ecosystem. I am also a Catholic, military wife, we moved to Ft. Jackson (GAG) 2 years ago from Ft. Bragg. We were members of St. Michael's at Division Memorial chapel. Have you heard of Fr. Ohm? FR. Kita (I know you've heard of him)? Fr. Paul Hurley? Fr. Matt Pawlikowski? Fr. Ed Czech? I miss Bragg like you wouldn't believe!

My husband was with 325th 2nd BDE, 82nd. HOOAH. He went to Iraq for a year during the expeditionary phase, Feb. '03-FEb. '04. I received the DR. Mary Walker Award at Bragg.

Anyway, great epiphany. I understand. The Eucharist is where we meet Jesus literally and what a blessing when He reveals things like this to us.

Awesome! I'm going to blogroll you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home