Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Finland's Annual Wife-Carrying Contesst

She ain't heavy, she's my wife--and I don't want her to get off my back!


What an...interesting competition!

Make sure you read the whole thing, the stuff on gender equality and gender specific roles is really good. I especially like the end-

They may be expressing--in an admittedly peculiar manner--that they want to live in a world where husbands and wives are equals, but their roles aren't completely interchangeable.

Now the only question I have is, if we were to compete, should I lose more weight to make it easier to win, or gain more weight so he wins more beer? I guess that would depend on what kind of beer they use for the prize! ;)

Tags-

1 Comments:

At June 30, 2006 12:34 AM, Blogger Alicia said...

*ROTFL* at the competition. The picture that puts in my head is hilarious.

I thought the article made some good points about gender roles and what our leisure pursuits say about our desires, too.

How would you define right gender roles, anyway? You've touched on that in many places, but I'm interested in your answer now. =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home