Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Hurricane Katrina and Human Nature

Wow, it sure didn't take long for the looting to begin, did it?!

Hugh has this up today-

Hugh Hewitt

I must admit that broadcasting to the world that "The looting was taking place in full view of passing National Guard trucks and police cruisers" as I found in this article-http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050830/D8CAC7E80.html can't be helping the situation any.


I know some people are going to be saying "If only Bush hadn't pulled all those Guard troops to fight in his little war, there wouldn't BE all this looting", or something to that effect. The problem at the moment isn't so much that there aren't enough troops, but that the troops can't GET to many of the areas being looted! I saw that the Navy is bringing several ships into the Gulf with some amphibious ships to help in the search & rescue- http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=19798 That should help.

Now, like many others I've read in the last couple of days, I'm curious to see how the rest of the world will react to our tragedy. Will we see offers of help and money from our friends, allies, and other nations? Some how, I think that the US will get blamed for not spending enough money for relief efforts...again!

I'm going to be linking to the various relief efforts both here and at my family blog, http://cantnotwrite.blogspot.com, so stay tuned!

(this post is a reprint from my previous blog, comments from there are below the cut)


Tags-