Monday, March 26, 2007

How iPods help your Doctor

The Beats Go On
Medical students use iPods to learn the sounds of unhealthy hearts. Rocking out to 'aortic regurgitation.'

I knew that some universities were giving out iPods to new students, and making lectures and other materials available for use on them, but this is just cool!

I especially like the part at the end-

"I had a feeling this was a skill you could pick up without any medical background at all," he says, "so I secretly put a marketing major in our classes and had him learn these heartbeats on his iPod. At the end of the class he scored equal to any of the med students. This kid couldn't spell 'mitral regurgitation,' but he could learn to recognize it."

Tags-

1 Comments:

At March 27, 2007 9:33 PM, Blogger Alicia said...

What a great idea! I think that no amount of rote memorization will teach sound recognition the way that just hearing it and getting a feel for the way it sounds will.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home