Saturday, March 31, 2007

By any other name...

Apparently a Mea Culpa is in order. In my venting below, I said-

"Heh, at the moment, we can't even get funding FOR MY HUSBAND and the men who are IN Iraq without them putting in all kinds of strings and loading the bill with enough pork to feed a small country."

Since I'm still catching up on my reading I wasn't aware I had misspoke here. Apparently it's not 'pork' if the Democrats are doing it, it's 'pet projects'.

I'll try harder to keep up with the newest media PC jargon in the future. ;)

EDIT- And, as I read further back in the Instapundit archives, I found this gem- PORKBUSTERS UPDATE-

The federal agency that tracked pork-barrel spending during the 12 years of the Republican congressional majority has discontinued the practice since Democrats took power, riling lawmakers suspicious of the timing and concerned about the pace of fat being added to bills.

Sigh...


Tags-

4 Comments:

At April 01, 2007 3:25 AM, Blogger Alicia said...

I hadn't read this one yet when I left my previous comment...heh...brings another whole level to the idea of limited resources. I don't think I'll ever understand the way that money and power seem to become the same thing...


Completely off topic, I love your new profile. And I think it's awesome that you're behind the camera. I've never been much of a photographer; my memories are my journal pages, but that leaves me impressed with those who do scrapbooking of any type!

 
At April 02, 2007 3:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If we're gonna go with the army of Popeyes idea, then maybe Spinach would be a national security issue. Otherwise, let's keep it out of emergency stuff. Hmmm. Maybe Line-Item Veto power to the Executive branch might not be such a bad idea after all, eh?

 
At April 03, 2007 12:51 AM, Blogger Alicia said...

I think line-item veto is a good idea in general. It eliminates a lot of best-of-bad choices type decisions, whether to strike a good plan or let something superfluous pass.

 
At April 03, 2007 1:01 AM, Blogger Kyrie Drake said...

So long as bills are written in such a way as to prevent the abuse of the line item veto, I have no problem with it. Unfortunately, Arizona saw how such a thing COULD be abused.

Here's the most recent example- http://www.azcentral.com/abgnews/articles/0504abg-veto0504.html

Ah, HERE'S the piece I remembered- http://www.nusd.k12.az.us/schools/nhs/gthomson.class/articles/executive/line.item.veto.html

So, yes, the line item veto is a very useful tool, but it does have it's own unique set of risks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home